Thursday, November 5, 2009

A moment in time with Rhys

About a fortnight ago, we visited the Brisbane pilot program of Walk On to film a piece about the national launch of this exciting program for TV. While we were there, I took 15 minutes to talk with one of our superstar determined clients, Rhys. Here's a window into his life and person.

Name: Rhys
Injury: C6/C7 incomplete quadriplegic
Years old when you were injured: 30
Years old now: 33
How did your injury occur? Riding my motorbike in a motorcross competition
How is life different for you, living with a SCI? Opposites, in terms of where I was
Who are your idols or role models? John Maclean, pretty impressive
Do you have a favourite saying, quote or joke? Give me a challenge
What does Walk On represent to you? Progress
Sum up Walk On in three words. Very big opportunity
At school I... got sick of chasing chicks and them running away
I don’t like talking about...the first fight I lost
My most treasured possessions are... my tools for building, my chair, my profile
My mother always told me... to take my shoes off at the door, and stop putting holes in my pants
In the movie of my life, I’d be played by... Russell Crowe
I wish I had... more hand function
I wish I hadn’t... had enough petrol that day to start my motor bike
I’m most passionate about... my family
My most humiliating moment was... shitting myself in bed for three months in hospital
When I was a child I wanted to... play first-grade football
It’s not fashionable, but I love... playing chess on the computer
If only I could... transfer off the floor into my chair
I relax by... listening to music
What I don’t find amusing is... cold chips from McDonalds
If I wasn’t me, I’d like to be... Brian Johnson from ACDC
My worst job was... apprentice plumber
I often wonder... if I had been a better surfer rather than motorbike rider
Sum up what life is all about in three words... Never give up

Signing off for now, as it's time for some shut eye before the national launch of Walk On, tomorrow, at Sydney Opera House.

Leila

Leila Mitchell
Partnerships Manager
Spinal Cord Injuries Australia

Follow us on
Twitter - we're @walk__on
Join the
SCIA Cause on Facebook
Become a Walk On Facebook Fan
Subscribe to our blog: Walk on from Spinal Injury

No comments:

Post a Comment